March 03, 2014

Get to know Astro Mundi’s Mari Garcia

By Ime Morales

Mara Garcia with her student
Mari Garcia is an internationally renowned astrologer born in the Philippines who has been living in Australia since 1973. 

As co-director of one of Australia’s most successful astrological schools, Astro Mundi, Mari practices as a professional consulting astrologer and educator in Adelaide, South of the country. 

She has lectured in Australia at the Federation of Australian Astrologers bi-annual conferences and at the United Astrology Conference (UAC) in the USA. 

Mari also writes regularly for local, national and international publications, and in fact has written/edited the following publications: Traditional Astrology: Glossary of Terms; Scala Coeli: The Ladder of Heaven (A Collection of Astrological Essays); Astrology: An Ancient Art in the Modern World (The AUSTRALIS '97 Conference Papers); and The Book of Notable Births. 

She is presently working on her next book, which will be on Saturn, as well as developing a series of workshops. Mari’s published works are available in PDF format from Astro Mundi.

Mari recently answered the following questions for Astrology Friends Philippines to share her roots in astrology as well as give some inspiration to aspiring students.

How and when did you start out as an astrologer, and what inspired you to be one? Also, can you tell us more about how you learned astrology?
I started studying astrology in formal classes in 1990 but I had been interested in the subject and other related ones like numerology and tarot for nearly 10 years beforehand. In 1990 I studied with Bernadette Brady and then Robert Zoller. My interest is primarily traditional astrology, its principles and techniques and how we can apply them to a modern context. I also have a passion for mundane astrology.

I don't think I started out wanting to be an astrologer. I just was interested in the topic and also having had a few natal and predictive readings, I was interested in just how it 'worked'. I was fascinated too with the philosophy but this did not come through until later.

I don't think I actually decided to become an astrologer as such. I went through a difficult period with work and while I was recuperating I concentrated on astrology as that helped me. And then, I thought, why not? I had already studied astrology and was seeing clients part-time. The astrologer I used to see (Brady) used to tell me I should study astrology, and I eventually studied with her about 7-8 years after I first consulted her.

I think astrology 'found' me in a way but I decided to dedicate myself to it in a major way in 1998 because I realized it was part of what I had to do. Was it fate? I like to think so.

What is Astro Mundi and how did you establish this institution?
Astro Mundi was established in 2002 as a partnership. I work with another astrologer, Joy Usher, and together we run classes and workshops for the beginner and professional, with a speciality in traditional astrology.

The following information on Astro Mundi was taken from the website.

Courses in Astro Mundi are provided through structured classes and workshops for the attending student. A Distance Education option is also available for some of the courses. The Astro Mundi faculty members are part of the Astrological Guild of Educators International. Astro Mundi offers the student:
  • Astrological education with professionally qualified and experienced astrological educators
  • Faculty members who are active in the astrological community locally, nationally and internationally
  • A school which is internationally recognized
  • A syllabus which is internationally recognized
  • Central location for the attending student in Adelaide, South Australia
  • Supervised Distance Education program for the correspondence student
  • Structured classes which provide a positive and encouraging learning environment
  • Accessibility to teaching faculty and resources
  • Assignments and projects which apply the learned principles and techniques
  • On-going feedback and mentoring

Where in the Philippines were you born and where did you grow up/study? Can you cite some fond memories about the Philippines? Do you have plans of visiting here in the near (or far) future?
I was born in Quezon City and grew up around the San Juan area and New Manila. My fondest memories are riding in a calesa when I was a child and going to the markets and coming back with bayongs of vegetables. I also remember it was a treat to have either halo-halo or mais con yelo. I also have fond memories of going to San Agustin church in Intramuros, or shopping with my mother in Divisoria or going to Antipolo or Cavite on school excursions.

Yes, I studied there and I attended Institucion Teresian (now called Pedro Poveda College) for grade school and high school. And for one semester I attended Assumption College in Makati before coming to Australia.

I hope to come to Manila in the next couple of years, maybe by 2016! We shall see.

Do you have tips for students of astrology, especially those studying with Resti Santiago in the Philippines?
I think the best advice is to learn as much as you can because you never stop learning. As it is, we are always students, and a teacher teaches as well as learns from his students. I know it is difficult perhaps to get texts in the Philippines so I would encourage all students to explore the free resources you can get online, as well as the vast reserves of the university libraries.

Mari Garcia will give an online seminar on "Moon Signs and You" on March 15, 2014 at Isis International Center, 3 Marunong St., Bgy. Central, Quezon City. To register, email astrofriendsph@gmail.com. Visit Facebook.com/events/1531057197120038/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...