March 24, 2016

Farewell, Henry Palacios, astrologer extraordinaire

By Jamal Ashley Abbas 

Henry Palacios
Last March 20, International Astrology Day, the Vernal Equinox, Palm Sunday and the first day of Spring in temperate climes, Filipino astrologer Henry Edward C. Palacios passed away.

He was 53 and his sudden departure took everyone -- his family, relatives, friends and astrological clients -- by surprise.

Born on July 27, 1962, Henry studied at the Ateneo for his elementary and secondary education. In the 1970s, he and his siblings were brought to London to study and be nearer to their diplomat mom who was posted in Europe. Their mom became Philippine ambassador to several countries. Their dad also pursued higher studies in Law at Cambridge (Admiralty and Maritime Law).

In prep school (senior high), Henry was the Head Boy (equivalent to the Student Council president). In college, he and his siblings went to Richmond, the International American University in London. His interests soon turned into photography and he became the school organ's photographer.

After EDSA and the fall of the Marcos government, the Palacios family returned to the Philippines. Armed with a degree on Money, Banking and Finance, Henry entered the FOREX market as a trader. Later, the mother introduced her children to a group concerned with Spirituality and Mind Powers. The group was Reach For InnerSelf (RFI) Foundation.

Astrology without and with computers
Henry (right) with his brother Hans.
In the 1980s and early 1990s, Aquarian organizations became popular among the middle and upper classes -- the Science of Mind (SOM), the Temple of Prayer, Peace & Prosperity (TOPPP), and RFI. There were also Aquarian personalities like Charlie Barreto, George Sison, Jimmy Licauco, etc.

There were a handful of astrologers who charged quite big amounts for a horoscope reading. Calculations were mostly done by hand (or calculators). Computer astrological programs were rare although some astrologers like the late Von Estrella used them.


Henry's elder brother Hans and a couple of friends -- Jamal Ashley Abbas and Joe Magsaysay -- concluded that it was high time for computerized astrological readings to be introduced to Manila folks. 

They decided on procuring a professional astrological software from England. Although skeptical about the rationality and logic of astrology, Henry welcomed the venture with an open mind.

In 1991, a kiosk with the name Natal Astrology was launched at Star City Carnival. It became a hit. To complement the kiosk, an astrological newsletter -- Astrology.com -- was printed. 

From Star City, the kiosk moved to SM Megamall, at the basement in Bldg. A. 

Instead of paying thousands of pesos for an astrology reading or sending $20 or £10 (plus bank wire transfer fees) to the US or UK for a few pages of horoscope reading, Natal Astrology charged only P100 or P200 depending on the kind(s) of readings.

Believer
Henry Palacios became a believer in Astrology. He was amazed at how accurate the predictions were. The software was top-notch. Pretty soon, Henry built not only an increasing amount of customers but an increasing number of repeat clients, many of whom became long-time friends.

Henry read up on astrology and created a virtual database of the computerized readings vis-a-vis truth or falsity as confirmed by the clients. Pretty soon, he became adept at analyzing the natal charts and the transits.

But much more than his prowess at astrological readings, Henry always offered a shoulder to lean on, ears to listen, and ever-ready astrologically informed advice. He became the long lost brother, son, uncle, cousin to so many of his clients. 

All kinds of people could be seen hanging out in his kiosk -- intellectuals, New Agers, politicians, rich yuppies, ordinary folks, eccentrics, healers, students of the esoteric arts, astrologers and would-be astrologers, etc. 

The interesting mix of Henry's clientele must have caught the attention of US intelligence because pretty soon, a karate-expert US embassy official started frequenting the kiosk and became a Natal Astrology kiosk habitué,

In 2000, the Natal Astrology kiosk at SM megamall closed shop. The era of the Internet had come of age, even in the Philippines, and astrological readings could be found on the web. However, readings by local astrologers even became more expensive and unreachable to the poorer sector of society.


Empirical science
Having read and analyzed tens of thousands of natal and transit charts, not to mention progressions, etc., Henry must have reassured his British-educated skeptical mind that astrology was not voodoo. As he used to say, "astrology is an empirical science." The astrological knowledge he accumulated in a decade at the kiosk could not just be left to gather dust in the recesses of his brain.

So, with or without the kiosk, Henry decided to continue doing astrological readings -- but on a "less commercial" level. Armed with a cellphone astrological app, he read people's charts inside restaurants, usually at Cafe Ysabel or the restaurants in the Promenade. And so for more than another decade, he professionally practiced the art and science of astrology.

Henry's friends, relatives, and clients still cannot believe his untimely passing.

Astrology Friends Philippines' Resti Santiago (right),
Ms. Georgina Solina (center) and Jamal Ashley Abbas
paid their respects to fellow astrologer Henry Palacios.
Wake was held at Mount Carmel Parish Shrine, New Manila, Quezon City.
Burial was on March 25, 2016, 9am at Loyola Memorial Park, Marikina.
Here are some of the posts of his circle in the social media:


From elementary classmate and friend Gene Gregorio:
A neighbor, classmate, friend, adviser, roadtrip/ Greenhills/ Magnolia co-adventurer, Avuncular figure to kids. We will miss his unique perspective on the world and on life. Truly, a Modern-Day Magus. You've travelled long and have been a good companion to fellow travellers and exporers. Rest in peace now as it is well deserved. The one who understood the language of the stars has finally reached the realm of the stars - his real home. Our prayers for H and our deepest condolences to the Palacios family.
 As usual, Henry had impeccable timing. He lifted off on Palm Sunday, World Astrology Day, and the first day of the Sun in Aries. H gave us a last lesson on synchronicity.

From Rainbow Hackett:
I woke up this morning and thought of my friend...Henry...I still can't believe you are gone...we met a long long time ago, in the early 90's, 93-94, I think, in mega mall...you read my stars then....you have been a friend ever since....we did not see each other often, infact we would only see each other when we would bump into each other in GH or magnolia...you always had nice things to say to me, and you would always give me a hug and a kiss on the cheek...Henry you always were a comforting presence in a world of turmoil....always ready to reassure me, that all things will pass, so we just have to learn to chill....I remember asking you what Humana was and that's when you told me, just chill...things will get better....the world has lost a star with your passing...but as stars go, they will always shine so long as you learn to look up and look to them....every time I look up at the stars, I will remember you, Henry, you who taught me to look up and have faith in our stars....you will be missed Henry...RIP....I will miss seeing you holding court wherever you are....I'm sure you'll be holding court amongst the stars...

From Rochelle:
I am so shocked to hear the news of Henry Palacios . He is a good friend, He knew everything about me because of my chart readings .. he got it all accurately.. he would call me "kikay"... I can't believe he is gone ... My sincerest condolences to his love ones... our "to go see " person when in trouble is gone...The man is brilliant ....
Please continue to be our Guiding light like Master Yoda .. May the force be with you on the other side Henry Palacios. vaya con dios..
From Noel Albano:

This is where I met Henry, and we usually discussed financial astrology (among other things!) when I visited his shop after trading hours, coming straight from my Tektite office. He enjoyed mentoring me in the finer details of financial astrology (in the 90's!) and he also shared his deeper philosophies in life. Talk about a student eventually meeting his teacher. The last time I saw him, in 2009, he mentioned that I should prepare for some "storms" in my life, and he encouraged me by saying that these "storms" shall pass. The "storms" came, I endured, and I thank Henry for the straight talk he provided, as a friend and a brother, which helped me to endure and to be a stronger person. Thank you Henry for sharing with me things to do during Full Moons smile emoticon You will be sorely missed...

From AstroDiva:
Also in that year (1999), i met the man who would inspire me to polish and practice my craft. Henry Palacios was a British-trained professional astrologer who operated a stall at the Mega Mall in Mandaluyong City that offered computer-generated astrology reports called Natal Astrology. a moment of impulse brought me to his counter i bought a
character profile. the attendant gave me a form to fill and told me to come back after 15 minutes for the printout. 

upon my return i inquired after my report. the attendant excused himself and returned with Henry a minute later. Henry introduced himself and said that he wished to speak with me personally about my profile. i thought it was odd because other customers simply walked out of the store after paying for their reports. 
Henry explained my profile in convincing detail, many of which i have already known in my own analysis of my birth horoscope. but there were more. he mentioned my natural inclination towards astrology and that there is a future for me in this field.
my attitude towards astrology took a serious turn after my first meeting with Henry. over the next year and a half i would go on a once-a-week visit to his stall. his place served as a melting pot for all sorts of spiritual workers. his visitors agreed that there seemed to be a magical force that drew like-minded people in and held them there. i could not deny that strange force, as i found myself wanting to drop in every so often.

To sum it up, here's what one of his friends (Ge Victoria) posted:
 He made reachable the science of the stars... down to earth.


You are welcome to share your stories on Henry in the Comments Section below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have been thinking of Henry the past year until i found this post by Jamal. Everything that is said about Henry Palacios is true and his words of wisdom continues to be part of my wonderful memories. I chanced upon Henry’s booth in SM Megamall a long time ago. And we ended up talking when i informed him that i am learning a little bit about this field from an expert who was certified by the British Astrological Society - and was using this typewriter looking computer with an encyclopedia of references! This friend also passed away soon after he gave me some guidance about my chart and when i started with my travel adventures- as he said i would. Henry did more than that to me. He also encouraged me to develop my skills but in the end i did not take this up. Without any regret, Henry inspired me to be always trusting on my stars. To Henry’s family, i offer my prayers and condolence. He was the best friend to many people and whose life was well lived.

Post a Comment

Share

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...